Friday, June 5, 2009

Time and Struggle

I’ve been thinking this week about the relationship between time and struggle. I don’t know about you, but when I am struggling my focus seems to go so quickly to “how soon will this be over?” I analyze and try to figure out how to fix the struggle, how to stop the pain and discomfort that usually goes with struggle and I often, if not always, come up frustrated with my failed attempts. I’m a “fixer” and “controller” by nature. It comes so naturally for me and even though I have “died to flesh” spiritually; physically and practically it often doesn’t look like it.

The apostle Peter wrote something startling about this subject: “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice….” (I Pet. 4:12-13a) I know this doesn’t sound like good news…and actually the context here is about suffering because of the name of Christ. That is not often what brings about my sufferings and struggles. Most of the time, I am struggling because of my own sin and self-centered ways. However, I do think we can take something hopeful away from this passage, no matter what our struggle. First, struggles are part of this temporal life. Because of the sin of our forefather, Adam and our subsequent sin, life happens and things break and fall apart. We struggle. I should not be surprised at this reality. It might even be helpful for me to expect it. I’m not talking about being a pessimistic “Eyeore” who looks for negative things around every corner and sulks in self-pity. Rather to realize that suffering and struggles come to all of us and are part of a sinful world that we inhabit. Secondly, we are told to rejoice. “How in the world am I suppose to rejoice when my world is falling apart or when I experience hurt and disappointment and disillusion?” Perhaps this very circumstance that I find myself in today has been tailor-made for me by my Creator. He knows us so well and intimately. He knows what will get our attention and turn our focus to Him. He knows what lies we are currently believing that keep us in bondage when He has freed us and wants us to live free. What difference would it make if I were to ask the following questions of my struggle: “Father, what exactly would You have me rejoice in? What is it that You want me to see and embrace about You in this ordeal? What do You want me to see and acknowledge about myself that needs repentance?” I know from experience that when I hear Him speak back to me out of those type questions, He is faithful to show me things that ultimately I can rejoice in. No, I might never rejoice about the specific struggle and the negative emotions that go with it, but when I can see the bigger picture of what He is doing and what He is wanting to reveal in me, then I have something to rejoice about. In the midst of the struggle, I can say with Job: “Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him.” (Job 13:15 – NIV) Thirdly, I find power in the midst of my struggles when I turn to Him. In 2 Corinthians chapter 4, Paul talks about being “hard-pressed on every side, perplexed, and struck down, always carrying around in our body the death of Jesus” (suffering and struggles). Yet, he also tells why this is so. “..so that His Life may also be revealed in our body…Life is at work in us.” When I cooperate with Life Himself, in my earthen, clay body, I have this all-surpassing power that is from God. I may be hard-pressed on every side, but I am not crushed. I may be perplexed, but I am not in despair. I may even be persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed. There is hope in the midst of my greatest struggles. It is a matter of where or Who will I turn.

I choose today, in the midst of my current struggles, to “commit myself to My faithful Creator and continue to do good.” (I Peter 4:19b) He is good, trustworthy and faithful. He adores me and has my best interests at heart. Where else can I go, but to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment