Saturday, June 6, 2009

Response to a fellow-struggler

*This post is a response to someone who has been reading my blog and wrote to tell me of her own struggles. I thought it would be helpful to share. *

Yeah…the whole “instant gratification” thing is definitely an American society issue….and I have been saying to a few people that I felt like the things God has been showing me (and that I have been blogging) could actually speak into many areas of our life. The three enemies that I mentioned in one of the posts, are three enemies in life in general, not just weight management issues. I will try to speak back to some of what you said. Not because I am trying to help fix you, rather that I love you and want to dialogue about it and hopefully speak some continued truth. We all need truth….the truth will set us free. (Or it will if we embrace it.)

One: You mentioned your middle school son who is addicted to sugar – bless his pea-picking heart. You gotta love the child, and I do!! But really, I would share with him honestly (like maybe you have already done) about the addiction and help him break it now. Don’t do it in a “this is what I say you’re gonna do” way, but more in a way of partnering with him and loving him through it. Does that make sense? Even share your own struggles (with wisdom, cause he don’t need to hear specifics) and make it like you and he are on this “rehab” together. Tell him anything about me…I don’t care what he knows.

Two: The demon that trails you, trails me. Somehow and for some reason, God has protected me from myself, my own desires and when I am “prone to wander” (which is often), He literally yanks me back in like He’s got me on some strong leash. It startles me at times, but I feel protected by Him incredibly. I honestly attribute a lot of that to the time I spend in Galatians and discipling others in Galatians, cause if I did not have that at my center, and if I were not staying actively in the Word, there is no telling what I would have done or do in regard to that “demon”. I HAVE to have constant re-visitation to the Word of Truth and being in position to teach it keeps me in it and accountable….and I require that to keep me on the path. I think that is one BIG thing that is missing in your life and the one thing that could make a huge difference in your struggles. I’m sorry, but the Unity church you attend from time to time does not have the capability to give you that. I think it is something you could do on your own if you were self-motivated in that direction, so I don’t think you have to get it from a church, per se. But a lot of my growth in the gospel has been as a result of being in a rich, gospel community of believers. I wish there was a “Grace Community Church” there near you….where they use Tim Keller’s materials for classes. But I remember you having the entire Galatians stuff I gave you, leader material and all. If somehow, you could find a way to get into it and really process it, I think you would love it and find that it speaks to everything we go through. I would be glad for you and I to have a time where we talk about just that each week. Maybe the summer is a good time to consider it. I’m just sayin’….

Three: Yeah…the message that you are sending to your "friend" saddens me too. I often wonder what messages my independence sends to John. *Sigh* So….I guess the next question is: What are you going to do about it? What will you change in order for him to feel unconditionally loved? What does God need to work into you before you can even honestly send an unconditional love message? What will it take for you to get to a place where you do not NEED those things from him or any man? Desire, yes. Need??? Well, that is another ballpark altogether, right? (Again, I find the answers to these type questions when I am thick in the Word….and Galatians is just a focal point that keeps me hopping all over Scripture for answers.)

Four: Yes, I think anything we “struggle” with is our painful trial. So, the questions I mentioned in yesterday’s blog are questions we must take time to ask, listen, process, repent and turn in faith again to Jesus when He speaks to them. At least, that is what I think….if true freedom and healing from our addictions is truly what we want most. Honestly, if I continue in the same way that I always have and have the audacity to complain about it, but then am not willing to honestly address my issues and do something about it, I am really saying that I don’t want to change. I want everyone else around me to change but I want to continue to do as I want and get what I want. (Oh…we’ve cycled back around to “self-gratification” again, haven’t we??) It reminds me of the guy at the Pool of Bethesda in John 5. Here is a guy who had been invalid for 38 years. He lied near this Pool that was known to have healing waters for a long time. One day Jesus saw him lying there and asked him an interesting question: Do you want to get well? The dude had some excuses (much like you and me):” I have no one to help me. When I try to go in, someone goes ahead of me.” The story doesn’t end there….but you can read it….but my point is that we all have the same opportunity afforded us to “get well”, but we have to want it bad enough to respond in faith to the call of repentance – change. I guess what I might ask you to consider over the summer is: What are 5 things that need to change in your own personal growth and maturity and discipline? I’m not suggesting you “work that up” in your own strength, because chances are when you think of the 5 things or 2 things or whatever, they will be much like my weight loss issue: HARD, IMPOSSIBLE, NOT REALLY THINKING THAT IS ALL THAT OF A BIG DEAL, etc…The things that are linked to the arrogance, self-reliance, pride and personal weakness.
For me, when I first started thinking about the Lap-Band surgery, it wasn’t because I thought I had an incredible weight issue or because I knew there were some underlying other issues. I was going to have the Lap-Band because I needed to “lose a little weight and it would help my joint pain”. So….one of my painful trials was the stupid insurance company’s policies. And look at what God was doing all along. He set me up. But He set me up to free me far beyond what I had the vision to see. He came alongside me at the Pool of Bethesda, and in so many words said: “Do you want to get well?” His idea of “well” had way much more to do with than just my joint pain. See how small-minded we are? How self-deceived we are? Yeah….you got it right, girlfriend! WE NEED A SAVIOR….a Rescue….and we have ONE!!! So why are we so slow to turn to Him?? In Him is the real Need-Meeter for wanting to be desired, enjoyed and affectionately delighted in. He wants you to have an affair with Him, but a life-long one so that when He “props you up by the great jukebox in the heavens” you will be very comfortable in His presence cause you will have already spent so much time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment