Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Sanctuary on the North Sea

June 17, 2013

The North Sea of Scotland

As far as my vision will allow me, I see midnight blue of ocean waters
And I glance down to the ancient stone I'm sitting upon, hues of brown - 
The sky is a light, but bright blue
The sun is above and yet behind me, warming my back
The white caps of the waves are here, there and over there
Gentle, yet sure, some splashing up stronger than others
Way in the far right distance I can barely make out the sail of a lone boat, almost as if it is part of my imagination
The beach is all but secluded
A pair over there, and another elderly couple back there
But I am all alone, secluded, solitary - and yet engulfed with Great Presence
For She is all around me, encircling me, protecting me, steadying my way with a Sure Foundation beneath me
The Great Spirit swoops down and lifts up again off the waters beyond me in the seagulls
They chirp happy, delightful thoughts and then back out of sight... for now

May the sun continually rain warmth upon my shoulders
May there be fresh and daily wisdom as gentle as the splash of the waves
May I know the depth, the width and the vastness of Love that is expressed in the blue ocean
May I learn to trust like the graceful, effortless glide of the egret, landing safely to the next place on life's journey
May I find strength and stability undergirding me like the remains of an ancient castle, refusing to give up
On this solitary journey, may I find comfort in the Great Presence surrounding me. 

Another couple dared to venture near me...sitting on the stones to my right...I didn't like it that they entered into my private ocean view. I like being here alone. The winds seems to have picked up a bit...I'm feeling a little chilly, even though the sun is still warming my back. I could be here for hours and hours. I never tire of this view, this scene, this smell of salt and fresh, clear air. 
The blue is striking. It's not turquoise, but it is a lovely blue. Oh I look to my far left and out closer to the water sit two fishermen on the stones. I don't mind them. They are far enough away and not watching me, judging me, accessing my presence here. They can stay on my beach. Yes, that is it. It is MY beach...or at least it feels like it is mine. I have never been on such an isolated beach. I am so use to colourful beach umbrellas and a long line of beach chairs full of chatty people.  Too many people. This is more right for me. Quiet except for the music of the waves and the occasional chirp of a passing seagull.  Even the few people here are quiet, almost as if this is a reverent sanctuary awaiting a silent worship service.  This was just for me this past hour on my beach on the North Sea. Here I don't have to listen to another or offer insight and counsel. Here nothing is expected of me or from me - I get to simply receive; take it in, bask in it, breathe it in. Breathe it. Breathe. Receive. Be refreshed for the journey. Allow new vision and creativity to be wakened within me. 

Thank You, Abba. Thank You, Lover of my soul. 

1 comment: