Thursday, June 27, 2013

An Unlikely Pedicure

My name is Viola. I lived a really long time ago and you probably wouldn't even know any of my relatives. I wound up in a very sinful lifestyle and was so engrossed in it with no conscience at all that it was so sinful. I was surrounded by a multitude of others who got caught up in the same thing - looking to lovers to prove my self-worth, acceptance and value. They all used me, got the best of the service I had to freely offer and most of the time I was never compensated financially for my harlotry. I mainly did it because I thought it was just what you did...and everyone around me seemed to be doing it...so I convinced myself that I was right.  Over time, I was very self-righteous about my lifestyle, very arrogant and full of pride.  I was even convinced that Yahweh Himself must have been so proud to have such a loyal soul on a cause. One day I hit a breaking point. All my lovers began to leave me one by one and my world as I knew it crashed all around me. I was devastated and wished to die. I had no idea that a series of events was actually being divinely orchestrated to bring me to the True Lover. This strange Lover began to convince me of His unconditional love and acceptance. I started to sense that there was nothing I could do to pay Him or do for Him or give back to Him.  He accepted none of my bribes. I was so empty, lost and desperate I chose to believe what He was telling me. I followed Him around everywhere He went to teach; always staying at a distance. I always feared what others would think of what I was doing and what my true motives were. This one particular day, I saw him go into a certain man's house who was pretty well-to-do. As I peered in the windows, I could see that his house was immaculate and full of decorative ornaments. There were so many guests milling around, I could barely see the Teacher.  I wondered if I could just sneak in and crawl under the table without being noticed. I was desperate to hear more of what this Lover had to say, but mostly I wanted to thank Him in some way.  I had an old bottle of my finest perfume still tucked into my blouse, just in case I might need it to lure some affection and validation. My bottle represented all that I had come to depend on to get what I desperately needed - validation, approval and value. I can't believe I actually managed to arrange myself inconspicuously under the table right where the Teacher was reclining.  In my desperation, I didn't even notice the man of the house staring at me. I could feel whispers and destructive voices, but I'd often heard those in my mind.  I wasn't sure if they were real or imaginary. Nevertheless, I had to do what I had come to do. I was desperate to show this new Lover my extreme gratitude.  I unplugged the top of my vial of perfume and as soon as the familiar scent rose to my nostrils, the flood of memories of all my previous lovers overtook my emotions. I began to weep uncontrollably. Like incense lifting to the heavens, my pride, arrogance and self-righteousness left me. With extravagance, I let all the expensive perfumed oil pour onto this man's feet. My repentant tears mingled with all my perfumed sin, covering His feet.  Through my tears, I saw the dirt from His day's journey that had encrusted his sandaled feet begin to melt to the floor. My long hair that I had used many times over to charm my previous lovers, I now used as a towel to bathe His feet.  I noticed a new scent wafting through the rich man's house - a fresh, clean scent no longer emitting the old memories.  I lost all concept of time, having bathed both of His dirty feet with my oil, tears and hair.  His remark to the man of the house, hearing Him call someone by name, startled me into reality of where I was and what I was doing. "Simon, I have something to tell you," I heard Him say. It wasn't until then that I realized this man, Simon, had been watching me.  I don't know when I had been caught, but the Lover's voice distracted Simon's stares. I honestly couldn't tell you what happened next. I think I blacked out as the familiar fear of disapproval washed over me so vividly.  How could I get out from under this table? How can I make an escape while He has this guy's attention?  Realizing I had no where to go and no way out of this strange place of worship, I relaxed into the floor wishing it would open up and swallow me. Just then, when I was completely at the point of receiving whatever was going to happen next, I heard the Lover say to me as I felt His love-peirced eyess look right at me: "Your sins are forgiven. I accept your beautiful offering of worship here today. I know that you are full of much gratitude. Your faith has saved you; go in peace.  In that sacred, miraculous moment a peace like I've never known swept completely through me.

(To be continued....)

No comments:

Post a Comment