Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Is the distant country necessary?

I was thinking about how we have such a tendency to try to stop people we love from going down a road that we can see is much like the one the younger prodigal took to the distant country. I mean, I know it is human nature to do that...and we care and don't want to see our loved one fall flat on their face against the pavement, so to speak. But isn't the trip to the city almost necessary for some in order for them to "come to their senses"? So my thought is this: Doesn't even the Father Himself grant the son's wishes knowing in His sovereignty that the son won't come to his senses any other way?? Somehow this gives me hope...hope that I can't mess it up so bad that the Father's extravagant love won't reach me. I'm not meaning to suggest that our flagrant travels are no big deal to God. I believe our "wanderings" hurt His heart....but I also believe that until I see to what level I am prone to wander, His redemption won't mean as much. This compels me to pray for His mercy and His protection over me and my loved ones. Father, don't give me what I want unless you know that it will bring me closer to Your heart...and please watch over us, guarding our hearts from wandering far from You. Thank you for running after me, for running to me and for your kiss of acceptance. May that compel me to stay close to home. (See Luke 15 from The Holy Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment